[C38] Gross Tonnage

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sat Mar 19 03:54:41 EDT 2011

Hi, guys,
	If you use length overall, and beam of 11.75':
 with hull depth from rail to bottom of 5.5 feet, you get 12.279 tons.
 with hull depth from rail to bottom of 6 feet you get 13.39 tons.

 I didn't check the actual measurements, but this is very close to the
13 ton figure, so I think it is pretty close.

	The gross tonnage is indeed to the rail, as that is sort of how
commercial ship cargo is loaded with crew housing typically being above
decks.  If you consider the footprint of the hull as length * beam *.8,
this allows the hull to be loaded to about 70% max capacity. In our
case, about 13 tons.

	If you measure from the rail to the deepest point of the hull, probably
at the forward end of the keel, I suspect the depth is about 5.5 or 6
feet.  One of you guys in the cold climate can measure when you have
your boat out of the water.

regards,
Les H