[C38] Loose strut

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 13:21:12 EDT 2011

This is a tough one Bill!  We used a long "shanked" 1/8 drill bit and "dug out" the FG next to the bronze strut up as far as maybe 5", being cariful not to make gap to wide.  We then drilled from the outside the strut fairing a bunch of injection holes (for epoxy) to the bronze.  Cleaned everything with acetone.  Lightly stuffed chopped FG fibers up the cavity.  Place some duct tape around the strut at the bottom of the cavity to be used for sealing.  Mix a batch of slow setting epoxy thicken with chopped FG.  Trowel the mixture "up hill" into the cavity as much as possible.  If you can see epoxy running out of the lower injection holes, that would be desired.  Dam up the cavity bottom with tape.  Immediately mix an unthicken batch of slow curing epoxy and inject the epoxy into the upper cavity-  be sure to use a proper hypodermic device so the epoxy is injected under a slight pressure, not relying on gravity.  Plug the holes as you with dowels or tape.  If necessary use a heat gun to help the curing.  I did this job about 3 years ago.  Last year at "haul out" every thing was tight and firm.  I will probably haul in 2012 and have another check on the job.  This is a good day long job.
Good Luck,  Steve O