[C38] crossing oceans

Richard West rw at idea-asylum.com
Sun Apr 3 12:23:20 EDT 2011

Hi Don,

Regarding the C38's passage making ability, as I think I've posted before
here, the previous owner of my boat, Legacy, sailed from Los Angeles to New
Zealand and was caught in the Queen's Birthday storm were there was loss of
boats and crews.  He faced 70 knot wind and 50' seas and said the only
problem he had was with the monitor windvane as the wind changed so
drastically from crest to trough he had to hand steer.

I think it would have been wise to ask the surveyor about his offshore
experience and what different boats it was on.

Do I think it's the ideal passage maker?  Answer: I don't know, it's the
only boat I've ever sailed offshore.  It worked for us on two round trips to
Hawaii and hopefully again soon on a much longer trip.

Cheers,

Rich, Legacy, #360, San Diego