[C38] water hole

William Knowles whk1965 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 5 10:12:03 EDT 2011

This is a somewhat related thread. I was down with the yard repair guy, to
try and find out why my strut shaft and bearing seem to be out of line. We
are also  going to try and fix the ongoing transmission shifting problems.
Here are my questions
1 I thought I read that the hot water tank will fit under the sink. True or
false.
2 Where is a good place to get a transmission?
3 We will go to a 3" heat exchanger where is a good place to get one of
them? Yacht Power Products?
4 I keep reading that some of you have cut out the locker floor, mine seems
to be glassed in place, do you mean the part covering the muffler? and the
vertical wall coming down from the cockpit floor.

As always thanks for your help in advance

Bill Flying Goose

On Mon, Apr 4, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Don Strong <drstrong at ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>  The water hole has let me understand where leaks come from. When they came
> from the rudder post, the hole held salt water; fixed that. When the cockpit
> drain fittings were leaking, the hole held water after washing down the
> deck; fixed that. The hole is a pretty weird feature, at any rate.
>
> On 4/4/11 8:55 AM, S Orton wrote:
>
> Steve S,  That is exactly what I did (foam & glass) years ago!  I could
> never get an answer why that "water hole" was left standing from the
> factory.
> Cheers, Steve O
> ------------------------------
> Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2011 22:35:04 -0700
> From: SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
> To: listserve at catalina38.org
> Subject: [C38] Strut Blister
>
> After crawling into an area smaller than my frame and laying in a puddle of
> water to remove the steering and drop the rudder I then started working on
> the bottom.   After some sanding near the strut I found a wet spot directly
> above the strut, needless to say I was surprised after barrier coating the
> bottom last year, then it dawned on me that it was in the same area as the
> puddle I was laying in.   Im going on the assumption that its not an
> osmotic blister as It was not raised from the outside, just wet inside, that
> water cant be good sitting in the recess all year long
>
> Has anyone else seen this and any comments on why its not a good idea to
> fill the area with foam and glass over the top so water runs into bilge?
> Thanks.
>
> Steve
> #312 Peregrine
> Seattle