[C38] Hull blistering - ouch!

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Tue May 3 02:18:19 EDT 2011

Marci,

Just finished my bottom if you have one that is visible then chances are you have others ready to show up, We sanded the old bottom paint off to barrier coat,  A day later lots and lots of little wet spots appeared on the barrier coat.  We then took chisels and pressed on each, those that spit out water got opened up.  Just used the chisel point and dug them out, its pretty easy to know when to stop.....when its not easy to rotate the chisel any longer.   The best way to do Im told if you have the time and temperature is to sand off the barrier coat, and let the boat dry out for weeks,  We filled them with a glazing compound, or Fiberall (None talc fiberglass product) for the larger ones,  then Interlux 2000E (they recommend five coats), sand to the smoothness you want and then bottom paint.

On a side note we found water seeping to our strut from the depression directly above it,  You know that little hole that is 24/7 365 days a year filled with water.   I got rid of the water and check the gelcoat and it had as expected failed and that water worked its way into the hull.   Yeah another project!  Next year.   Until then when Im done crawling around back there Im going to gorilla tape some plastic over the depression so that it drains to the bilge rather than collect there.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle