[C38] Hull blistering - ouch!

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Tue May 3 19:21:27 EDT 2011

My 2 cent worth:  I was told that boats made in the mid 80's are very prone to blistering (mine is a late 84, hull #304).  The reason for this is Catalina changed their polyester cocktail to a fire resistant variety.  The early built boats don't have or have very little blistering and either do the later 80's boats.  You can put up with the blisters, just don't sand your hull below the WL.  But I wanted to race and the yard was charging $500-1000 extra to paint my hull- Oceanside, CA.  After a lite sanding, my hull would look like it had the measles!  After lots of investigation I went with Hull Tech, had the hull pealed, two coats of fiberglas using vinylester resin followed with an epoxie barrior coat and the normal antifouling paint.  I understand vinylester is the standard bottom material now for new boats.  This was done in early 2004 and I haven't had blister one since- I haul every other year, lightly sand once over with an 80 grit paper.  If there were blisters you would see them after sanding.  The other good news, the boat floats about 1 inch higher, the bad-it costs about $11000 total, then.
Cheers, Steve O
Santa Susanna (304)