[C38] Starting woes

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue May 10 16:52:28 EDT 2011

If light are dimmimg, it means that you have the battery switch on the "all"
position, and still you are not getting enough juice....
As Les said, you have resistance somewhere on the circuit. When I bought
Estancia a eight years ago, I had the same starting problem, so I replaced
the battery wires because they had lots of corrosion, and at the same time I
cleaned the starter and replaced the solenoid... Problem solved until last
year...
I thought it was the starting battery, and turned out to be the battery
switch... It looked like new, but had a lot of resistance on th "1"
position... I noticed that when I installed a new Blue sea switch instead of
the old perko....

Follow Les's advice and check this switch ....

Regards

Max

2011/5/10 Joseph Launie <jlaunie at cox.net>

>  my mechanic solved my starting problem by replacing the solenoid -all I
> know - I do not understand why engines work Joe
>

> On 5/10/2011 8:49 AM, Pierre Patino wrote:
>

> Hello All
>
> My engine is difficult to start. It's the Universal Diesel 5424. I believe
> it was somewhat rebuilt two or three years ago but I cannot locate the
> records indicating exactly what was done. According to the service manual,
> the symptoms indicate a possible starter problem (assuming "bad engine"
> ain't the cause). Can anyone tell me about how long it takes to replace the
> starter? I'm somewhat mechanically inclined but no longer a gymnast.
>
> Among the symptoms in page 17 of the manual is "[Starter] Pole core screw
> loose". It seems to me that this would preclude the starter from turning at
> all, is this correct?
>
> By the way, the symptom is: Motor turns very slowly (about once per
> second)  while starting and the cabin lights dim almost to darkness. Brand
> new batteries too.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Cheers

Max Soto