[C38] Starting woes

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue May 10 18:35:31 EDT 2011

Hello Pierre

The starter on the 5424 is a bear to remove but when you do, you can bench check both the solenoid and starter at the same time.  Both units are suspect in a slow starting engine.

Remove the battery cable going between the solenoid and the battery because that cable is always hot.

After removing power to the solenoid cable, you can use extension sockets, extensions and swivel connectors to get to the flange nuts on the starter.  You can't really see the nuts well but you can feel them to get sockets connected.

Rarely do our starters actually wear out.  They usually corrode making the commutator short and drag.  If you don't have access to a metal lathe, sometimes just a good cleaning with a strip of 220 wet or dry paper will freshen up the commutator lands on the armature.  Make sure you drag the tip of a pointed file or knife edge through each groove between the commutator contacts to make sure there are no shorts caused by bridges from metal debris from sanding.

The Catalina web site I believe has reference to an automotive replacement for the solenoid through Advance Auto Parts which is a small fraction of the Universal price.  The automotive solenoid is the EXACT same unit, no difference.  Since the solenoid lives in a very corrosive atmosphere and cannot be serviced, I would recommend replacing it when you have the starter out.  If your battery cable isn't in really good shape, now would be the time to replace it also.

Whether you use your old battery cable or a new one, I would use a liberal amount of dielectric electrical grease on the battery  connection to prevent corrosion.

Good luck.
Tom Troncalli