[C38] Starting woes

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Fri May 13 17:41:59 EDT 2011

Hello

As promised, I'm reporting on the starting problems.

The battery and battery cables are basically new. However, I noticed some
corrosion on the starter solenoid terminal where the positive side of the
battery(ies) connect. I scraped everything and reinstalled the cable. There
are two connections to the starter solenoid. One is for the battery and the
other one goes to the panel where the starter switch is located.  The
battery cable was not the first one in contact with the before and now it
is. I wanted to add a washer so I made one by drilling a hole in a nickel
(since I was washerless) and installing it. Now I can start the engine with
only one battery which is a first. I'm still not satisfied with the speed at
which the starter turns the engine. Can someone tell me what the "ideal"
starter crank speed should be? 100RPM? 200RPM?

Furthermore, there's a 2.2V drop at the battery switch. I think that's a
lot. I've been googling for the specifications on the "On Resistance" of
marine-quality battery switches but haven't found anything definitive.
Thanks to Les for this tidbit. I disconnected the switch and simply clamped
the cables together and I noticed a slight improvement in the cranking
speed. It could be subjective though..my mind wanting it so...

When I crank the engine now, the battery goes from 12.2V down to 11.4V. I'm
not sure if that's too much. Do I need beefier batteries?

Anyway, I feel safer now knowing that I only need one battery to start the
engine. Still, I would like to start saving $10,000 so I can buy a new
engine like the one I saw at the Sailboat show last month. Ha Ha.

Due to lack of time, I did not look at the negative side where the engine
block connects to the battery. That's next week's project after a bit more
yoga.

Cheers