[C38] Mysterious stuffing box behavior

William Knowles whk1965 at gmail.com
Wed May 18 15:27:49 EDT 2011

Marci, Not sure about the stuffing box we had ours done last week will ask
the yard for ideas. I am more concerned about water under engine. It should
flow into bilge unless the hole is blocked, may want to check. It could be
very dangerous to pump from the front if you have to run the engine at the
same time.

Bill Flying Goose

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Marci Brown <mb at seafor.us> wrote:

> A troubling stuffing box situation began last week (and continues): We ran
> the engine reasonably hard for about 4 hours when doing the NYC East River
> trek to Long Island Sound. I was in the galley when Keith raised the sails
> and cut the engine (leaving transmission in neutral). Immediately I heard
> water pouring into the boat from the stuffing box area. I shouted for Keith
> to throw the transmission into reverse. No more water! Whew! Water quickly
> exited the boat via bilge pump - with the exception of 10 gallons sitting
> under the engine that I had to pump out by hand. Diagnostic guesstimate #1:
> New zincs on the prop shaft causing wobble that is stressing the 2-year old
> flax packing gland... right? The cutlass bearing is fine. Other thoughts:
> Folding prop has inherent balance issues, engine/transmission/prop shaft
> alignment fine tuning necessary, packing glands wear out quickly under
> stress?? Would anyone like to tackle this one?
>

> *Marci J. Brown*
>
> PO Box 520549, Winthrop, MA 02152 USA
>
> *Ph:* 757-515-3151 | *Email:* mb at seafor.us

W H Knowles