[C38] Chainplate replacement

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue May 24 13:38:35 EDT 2011

Sorry Phil,
it was my front lower on starboard, the one that goes on the closet The
easiest to remove and inspect on the whole boat!!!).
 I wasn't even inspecting it..I just removed it to seal it and the two
bolts. while cleaning it, I found lots of cracks along the weld, because the
bolt had loosen up.
I'm going to replace the whole assembly...

The ones that you mentioned will have to be replaced. They had lots of
corrosion and some cracks on the plate visible from the inside, but the
bolts are ok.... I'm going one chainplate at a time!

After replacing the front on starboard, I'll go for the one at the head and
then the ones for the afts lowers...
Any recommendation?????

I don't even want to get it started with the shrouds since they are simple
and straight ss plates...
Regards,

Max

2011/5/23 Phil Gay <eyriepg at comcast.net>

> Max,
>

> That is a complex chainplate.  I removed both of my aft lower chainplates
> about 4 years ago and I had to disassemble the cabinets.  Are you planning
> to replace just the portion of the chainplate that goes through the deck?
>

> The ultimate tensile strength of 304 is
>
> Tensile Strength, Yield
>
> 290 Mpa <http://www.lenntech.com/unit-conversion-calculator/pressure.htm>(=42100psi)
>
> The ultimate tensile strength of 316 is
>
> Tensile Strength, Ultimate
>
> 558 Mpa <http://www.lenntech.com/unit-conversion-calculator/pressure.htm>(or about 75,000psi)
>

> That seems like a significant difference but I imagine that the part is
> overdesigned by about 1000%.
>

> What do you think, Steve Orton?
>

> Phil Gay
>
> C38 049 Que Linda