[C38] a little help from my friends

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Tue May 24 15:07:08 EDT 2011

I read my Boat/US policy. I know a little about this stuff having been
admitted as an expert on these topics in state and federal courts all
over the country for 33 years. The policy lets you sign a subrogation
waiver with your boat yard and marina. Our yacht club does not rent
slips or fix boats so they do not fall in those 2 categories. The policy
then says, (and the underwriter repeated to me over the phone) impair my
right of recovery and your policy is void. I found that to be somewhat
clear and to the point. In my opinion, the entry form was a subrogation
waiver which does not just impair the insurance company's right of
recovery, it eliminates it. So I filed a protest of the YC race
committee under RRS 82. They tap-danced all over the waterfront for
three weeks and then denied my protest. Just before the final denial the
YC asked me to contact the insurance company, send them the entry form
and have them state in writing that coverage would be void. The
insurance company said they would. I am waiting. I will share the
results with the list. Joe Launie/Macavity