[C38] spreader droop and AC

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue May 31 17:42:19 EDT 2011

When I installed an air conditioner on my 38, I used a standard 12k BTU window unit with remote hand control that I converted to marine use with a water cooled condenser.  I mounted the A/C and a small microwave oven in the wasted space of the navigation table foot well.

I mounted the cooling water pump under the quarter berth between the fuel tank and hull.  I tee 'd off of the engine thru-hull and strainer.  I put a water discharge thru-hull just a few inches above the boot stripe so I could see the water discharging from the cockpit for a quick visual check for flow.

Modifying a window air conditioner is very easy.  R-Parts in California will sell you a ready made heat exchanger condenser if you don't want to make your own.  Any air conditioning technician should be able to make the conversion for you if needed.  I wanted to make use of the wasted space under the navigation table and the air conditioning and microwave did that.  I also kept the board under the microwave to hold can foods for pantry storage.

I sold my 38 but I have made several of these A/C conversions in the past and all worked well.  With the conversion like I made, you lose no storage space because the foot well on the 38 is essentially wasted space anyway.

Tom Troncalli