[C38] What happened?

Chapuys at aol.com Chapuys at aol.com
Thu Jun 2 12:21:36 EDT 2011

Don't forget, when you pull the shore power cord, make sure you open the
circuit breaker on the panel first.  If you leave the breaker closed there
will be arcing at the receptacle which in time will cause failure of your
shore  power receptacle

Bob Miller
"Bolero" #113 at Southwestern YC in San Diego

P.S.  I paid my dues via paypal this morning.  Thanks for the  reminder.

In a message dated 6/2/2011 9:13:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
hlhowell at pacbell.net writes:

On Wed,  2011-06-01 at 13:49 -0700, Patrick Harpole wrote:
> This weekend we  sailed to Petuluma and stayed for a couple of nights.
The
> last  day we lost shore power.  Is there a breaker on the Catalina?
> We  may have overloaded the system with microwave and hair dryer.  Or
should
> the breaker go out on the dock?  It didn't trip.
> Patrick

The  only breaker on the standard Catalina panel is on the left side of
the  power panel, 2 of them in parallel.  What has happened to at least
one  person is that the shore power receptacle on the side of the boat
had one  of the wires burn out.

Alternatively we have had one shore power cable  that would just come
loose in the shore box.  I had to replace  it.  Also sometimes the shore
box will trip but not look  tripped.  Generally throwing it off and on
will reset it  correctly.  Those are the only problems I have  had.

Regards,
Les  H

Listserve  mailing  list
Listserve at catalina38.org