[C38] Deep keel - 6'9"

Steve.Ribble at gmail.com Steve.Ribble at gmail.com
Wed Jun 8 08:14:41 EDT 2011

Hi Marci.

In Maine we've got about 30 sq ft of soft bottom and the rest is hard,
irregular and [to a great extent] unmarked by aids...so a chart is usually
close at hand...and of course it's further complicated with 16'+/- tide
swings. That said, there's only so many places to sail for day and weekend
trips and you quickly learn where to go and where not to go (the other
sailing I do is offshore racing throughout the Gulf of Maine, so plenty of
water there, but also many different ports). For my two cents about the
keel, I wouldn't go any other way than the deep draft. I prefer the
performance and maneuverability of the fin over the shoal version (haven't
sailed a C-38 shoal, but have done others).

You can also set depth alarms (at whatever depth you want) on your sounder
and/or GPS as a back-up warning system so you don't need to use the chart
quite so much.

Steve

Steve Ribble
Tittravate #64