[C38] Catalina 38 Universal fuel Consumption

Don Strong drstrong at ucdavis.edu
Wed Jun 8 10:59:22 EDT 2011

Discreet Charm with her Yanmar 3GM burns 1/2 gal per hour at 2500 RPM at
5 knots in calm water with no current. We don't push her hard except
when safety demands, such as entering the Golden Gate at max ebb.
Redlining her at 3200 RPM kicks the fuel consumption slightly above 3/4
gal/ hour. Our Flex-O-Fold prop has a bit too much pitch. I could haul
her or pay a diver and spend a few hundred to a thousand and get the
pitch perfect.
Don

On 6/8/11 7:48 AM, William Knowles wrote:
> Jeffry
> I burn about .50 gal per hour at 2100 rpms, that gives me about 6
> knots in flat water and calm wind. I have a kiwi three blade
> feathering prop. I think my engine is rated at 27 HP.
> Hope this helps.
> Bill Flying Goose
>
> On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Jeffry Matzdorff <earthakat at msn.com
> <mailto:earthakat at msn.com>> wrote:
>
>     Aloha,
>     I was hoping someone could give me an idea of the fuel consumption
>     at various RPMS for the Universal 24 hp engine.
>     Also, associated speeds at the various RPMs in flat water.
>     Cheers,
>     Jeffry Matzdorff

> --
> W H Knowles