[C38] Tiilers

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 10 15:20:42 EDT 2011

On our 27 and earlier tiller boats we possessed we balanced the helm with
bungee cords.  We once  took a Contesa 26 from Ft. Lauderdale to the Keys
and back and without the bungee cords it would have been a very long haul
without auto steering.

After learning the bungee trick we used bungees on our wheel steered
Catalina 38 also.  Our 38 had an Autohelm but the bungees keep the strain
off of the steering motor and save the battery too by allowing the steering
motor to only make slight corrections instead of trying to fight weather
helm.  When we started using bungees on the 38 to balance the weather helm
the steering motor stayed cool to the touch.

Tom Troncalli

Snark.

> >> Tom Troncalli
> >> recovering ex-racer