[C38] overheat

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 18:17:46 EDT 2011

Well, the engine works...Perhaps, I just want to believe that it doesn't so
I can get a bigger one!!  LOL

I'm going next week with a spare temp meter and I'm planning to take out the
manifold and reinstall the cap, also planning to service theexhaust flange
on it, since one of the bolts is broken....the, I will start it and see how
it works... If it is ok, I have two choices, buy another engine, and sell
the old one in working condition, or overhaul it and keep it (cheaper!), but
if I sell it, I may recover some of the money spent on the new engine......

It depends on the price of the other engines....   How does  $3200 sounds
for a 1997  27hp Yanmar 3GM30 with 572 hours??
Regards,

Max

2011/6/17 Chuck Finn <charles at finn.ws>

> I am with Tom and Paul on this.  The 5424 is an iron horse!  It kind of
> reminds me of the old John Deere "A" and "B" tractors that would run no
> matter what you did to them!  As far as I can tell from Max's photos, the
> lightest, weakest metal in the whole system failed on a solder joint...
> When these engines overheat, the expansion will allow for some oil leaks,
> but they might go away after it cools down.  Best case might be a new solder
> joint, or perhaps a valve cover gasket.  Worse might be a head gasket.... or
> an anchor.
> What can you lose by filling the cooling system and firing it up?  You
> don't even need to pressurize it to look for blow by, etc.
>
> Chuck Finn
> Mighty Quinn  #114
> Great Lakes
>

> On 6/16/2011 8:21 PM, tdtron at earthlink.net wrote:
>
>> Those were my thoughts also Paul.  Unless the pistons are scuffed the 5424
>> is probably salvageable. Even if the pistons are scuffed, an overhaul on
>> that engine is pretty easy once you get the #$%^ out of the boat.
>>
>> The main problem overhauling a Universal diesel is the price of parts.  If
>> you use Kobota parts it brings down the price to just incredibly
>> ridiculously expensive instead of the much higher Zimbabwe like pricing
>> Universal uses.  I once pulled my cylinder head and wanted a new head
>> gasket.  Back in 1994 the price was over $150 for just a head gasket from
>> Universal.  I reinstalled the old head gasket and it never failed in the
>> following 16 yrs of service.
>>
>> I'd hate to have to replace something expensive like a real part!
>>
>> Tom Troncalli

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica