[C38] Suggestions???

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 28 09:06:58 EDT 2011

Ditto on the Velcro idea for the laptop mount on the nav. station.

We bought our kids a ski boat and I fastened a VHF to the dash by mounting
the radio bracket to a base plate made from a piece of 1/4" Plexiglas.  I
then Velcro 'd the Plexiglas base to the dash.

When they leave the boat, they just disconnect the quick connect antenna
and lead wires and carry the radio home with them.

If Velcro will take the pounding of a ski boat, the relative calm of a
sailboat will even be more secure, even with the heavier laptop.  It takes
some real muscle to remove the VHF and we mounted the base plate using only
(4) 1.5" Velcro squares. Any more Velcro and a crowbar would be needed for
removal of the VHF.

Tom Troncalli

<listserve at catalina38.org>
> Date: 6/27/2011 11:51:02 PM
> Subject: Re: [C38] Suggestions???
>
> Larry,
>
> I'm with Bruce on the adhesive-backed velcro. I have used the industrial
strength velcro for a variety of temporary attachments with great results.
> I get the heavy duty hook & loop that is 2" wide. Try a fabric store, you
can buy it by the inch or entire roll.