[C38] FW: Re: Pressure Cap Specs?

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 30 19:38:27 EDT 2011

Hello David and forum,

I may be wrong but think that the Bar's Head Gasket Repair is just a more
robust version of their Bar's Radiator Repair which has been around since
Noah beached his boat.

Long before the head gasket repair was on the market the Radiator Repair
saved many head gaskets so I know it will repair a head gasket if the leak
isn't too extreme.  I think the fiber material in the Head Gasket Repair
may be a more coarse size for larger leaks but if your leak was fixed with
the radiator repair, your leak problem is fixed, regardless of if you use
the follow up Head Gasket Repair.

In both products, the leak isn't fully repaired until the engine has been
run at full operating speeds for awhile because the repairs are heat cured.
I have taken head gaskets off of cars that had previously had leaks fixed
with Bar's radiator repair (The Head Gasket Repair came out after I
retired) and the material we scraped from the repair areas was a very
strong material which we had to chisel off to clean the heads for re
assembly.

The Bar's stuff works, IF, the leak isn't too large to plug with the
fibrous material in Bar's.  If you can plug the leak with Bar's, the leak
is permanently fixed once the engine has been run at operating temperatures.

Most of my experience has been with Bar's but I'm sure there are other good
brands also.  Bar's was formulated when all radiators were copper or steel
and some of the more modern radiator repair products are also for aluminum
which may be a corrosion problem with our iron engines because, as we all
know, problems can occur when dissimilar metals are in contact together
with water.  I am guessing that the products rated for aluminum may not be
as good of a choice for our use as products like Bar's original formulas
that are not rated for aluminum.  Bar's has ground copper in their formula
and if the aluminum compatible products use ground aluminum, I think you
see my point.

Tom Troncalli

<listserve at catalina38.org>