[C38] If it's not one thing...

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 5 21:51:59 EDT 2011

Hello Dave,

Sorry for your experience with the engine not starting.

If it was me, I would take a test light and connect it between a ground and
the small solenoid wire while someone else is trying to crank the engine
and see if you are getting control power from the starter switch.

If that wire is hot when someone turns the key, you have either a bad
solenoid or a bad starter. Either way, you will have to remove the starter
which is a @#$%^  job on a 5424 which I presume you have.

If you are not getting power to the control wire, you may just need another
starter switch.  Don't settle for an automotive unit even though the price
is much lower.  An automotive starter switch will fail very soon in the
harsh environment of your cockpit.

If you need a starter and/or solenoid, DON'T buy a new one from Universal.
Your old starter can be refurbished for a small fee and your solenoid can
be bought very cheaply from Advance Auto Parts for a fraction of the price
Universal charges for the same solenoid.

I don't have the Advance solenoid part number handy but maybe someone else
can help you with it if that is your problem.  If your starter is the
problem, usually just turning the armature on a metal lathe and installing
new brushes makes the old starter like new again.  The end bearings seldom
wear out. Any starter/alternator shop can do this starter overhaul for a
small fee.  (small compared to the ridiculous prices of Universal!)

Tom Troncalli
Resident wannabe geek gearhead