[C38] Chicago Mac news

david at dlrfilms.com david at dlrfilms.com
Fri Jul 22 18:12:45 EDT 2011

Just found this:

"David Tarson keeps a wet suit, flippers and a defibrillator on his boat.
He wanted to go into the water to look for Morely and Bickel, but his crew
talked him out of it. They were under the impression that the Coast Guard
would send in their own divers. “They convinced me it was dangerous for me
to be there, that there are people who do this that are trained for it,”
Tarson said. “That made sense to me. You don’t want to have one person
you’re saving while you’re saving the other two.”

However, the Coast Guard did not have a dive team that night. A Coast
Guard spokesperson told WBEZ this was normal because they don’t maintain
their own dive teams for search and rescue. Instead, they use divers
provided by local law enforcement. In this case, the Sheriff’s office in
Charlevoix County, Mich.

Divers did not arrive until early morning. According to the sheriff’s
office, divers quickly found the two missing sailors trapped underneath
the boat, still tethered to their life lines.

http://www.wbez.org/story/mourning-after-mac-concerns-about-safety-89446