[C38] Trans Pac Race

larrypi at roadrunner.com larrypi at roadrunner.com
Sun Jul 24 16:12:13 EDT 2011

Having completed our second Trans Pac Race I feel there are a few comments I would like to make to the members here.  First and foremost is our crew on Hasssle, what a great group of guys, everyone got along well, we sailed well, ate well and generally had a good time with minor problems.  Now to the serious stuff!

As all of you know there were two Catalina 38's in the race, Periguine and Hassle.  Steve Smolinske broung Perigune all the way  from Seattle WA to Los Angeles to do this race, not a easy sail nor cheap.  I know the cost of outfitting a boat for the race, it's not cheap by any standard.  Of course our main objective was to beat Perigune and the heck with all the other boats in our Aloha Class.

The race started out great, we were running neck and neck with Periguine for the first 6 days and then Periguine had a water maker problem.  As Steve related to me there was a discussion among his crew whether to keep going with what they had on board or to turn back and drop out of the race.  Short rations on water and they could make it!  This is not an easy decision to make given all the circumstance of the race, crew, cost etc.

My compliments to Steve Smolinske for making the very tough decision to drop out of the race.  This took real internal fortituide and as we all know a great Skipper keeps the safety of his crew and vessel in the forefront at all times.  I know from talking to the crew members of Periguine that many of them wanted to keep going on a liter a day of water per person.

Steve you have my utmost respect and regard as a Skipper/Captain; you made the right decision although probably the toughest one of your sailing career.  You kept telling us you would meet us on the docks when we got in to HI and there you were with Mai Tai's in hand, not the way you wanted to but I will say this, Team Hassle has the utmoste respect for you and your crew