[C38] Cockpit Drains

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Aug 1 01:23:17 EDT 2011

When we were running down the coast to Long Beach during the Coastal Cup, the first night saw 25-30 knots and sorta big seas.  I had just settle in the quarter berth after placing the the first hatch board in and was just at that tipping point of sleep when a wall of water came through the hatch.  The watch captain was driving and was hit from behind by a wave that went over the top of his head, needless to say the cockpit was full of water, up over the cockpit seats and it took a very long time to drain in addition to bailing.   My drain hoses go straight down from the scuppers to the through hulls.  I remember a thread about routing them to the opposite sides, of course in this situation its a matter of opening size, but we are continually annoyed by water in the cockpit when heeled over and the low side through hull is buried underwater and water comes up and not out the drains.

I would appreciate comments from anyone who has their hoses going to the opposite side.

Also any suggestions for adding more drains to get water out quicker, I was thinking about additional drains on the slanted sides of the cockpit sole, Thanks

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle