[C38] Exhast Mixing Elbow?

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 1 21:52:59 EDT 2011

Hello Max and group,

Sorry for the late reply.

Max, when you said you thought the elbow heat exchanger channel was to cool the elbow, you were correct.  When I said that the idea of the water being hotter the better, I was referring to the efficiency of that heat exchanger elbow.  Obviously, if the water isn't heated sufficiently, the elbow will still be very hot and the exhaust system will also which can be detrimental to rubber components.

The hotter the water becomes before it enters the exhaust the cooler the exhaust and hoses will be.  The water and exhaust eventually going overboard will be completely mixed by that point but the idea is to mix as much temperature as possible between the hot exhaust and raw water in the early stages of the exhaust system before the rubber components of the exhaust.

As a side note, if the water in the elbow is actually changed to steam, the system gains some efficiency because changing water to steam actually absorbs more BTU's than if the water is left in liquid state.  Most raw pumps have enough volume to keep the water from turning into steam but it is nice to know that if for any reason we get a flow reduction that the exhaust cooling will compensate somewhat if the water changes to steam although not enough to compensate for the loss of volume.  Since your engine will probably suffer a nuclear meltdown anyway in such cases, any benefit to the exhaust cooling efficiency is a minor consolation.

I have a knack for making the simple very difficult.  The bottom line is that the efficiency of the heat exchanger of the elbow is important which many home made elbows seem to ignore.

Tom Troncalli