[C38] Rudder replacement and bearings.

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 14:46:25 EDT 2011

I just pulled out the rudder and it doesn't look any good... The shaft looks heavily corroded with lots of pores and the blade is saturated with water. Of course,  I have to noticed this while doing a huge and expensive blister job and engine swap... I might used like thi for a few months until I get a replacement. Maybe, I just open it, let it dry and replace the shaft. Going to check my options.
 In the mean time, I found thi on Catalina direct.

http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=2385&ParentCat=343

 This link shows the rudder bearings for newer Catalina models. Could those be installed on a c38??? With some modifications, I think that the upper bearing with the self center bearing will get rid of the play on the rudder shaft. At least most of it.

Any thoughts??
Max
Sent from my iPod