[C38] Refrigeration

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 26 08:15:29 EDT 2011

We considered removing the oven/range and putting a dormitory refrigerator there as Patrick Harpole did but we decided to keep the oven/range and convert the ice box instead.  The dormitory refrigerator idea is by far the easiest and least expensive and looking back on it, we seldom used the oven or range anyway, so Patrick may have had the better idea.

One really good use for the oven is to disable the fuel to it making it inoperable and use the oven to store sensitive electronic equipment like VHF radios, GPS's, etc.  The metal oven makes a good Faraday cage to protect electronics in case your boat takes a direct or near lightning strike.

If you remove your oven, any metal box will also work as a Faraday cage.  Even wrapping your VHF radios, etc., in aluminum foil can greatly help them survive such high intensity electromagnetic pulses.

We kept our Catalina 38 in Tampa Bay which is in the lightning capital of the world.  We have seen boats that have taken direct hits from lightning and nearly every piece of unprotected electronic equipment for a quarter mile around was fried.

One boat I am referring to was a racer with a carbon fiber mast that took a direct hit. The mast turned into a dirty mess on the deck.  It looked like someone had dumped the contents of a big vacuum cleaner around the mast step, with the mess full of dirty fiber strands. That boat lost all of its electronics but so did every other boat on that dock.  After that, I kept a backup VHF, GPS,  and VHF walkie talkie in my inoperable oven "just in case."

Tom Troncalli