[C38] Thru Hulls

yvo kwee yvokwee at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 15:10:33 EDT 2011

Steve M, I am intrigued by the puzzle of why Peregrine sits so low at the
stern.
When I first saw Peregrine in Bandon I noticed her leaning back with the
stern boot stripe in the water and the bow high above the water. There was a
55 gallon drum filled with fuel in the cockpit and I assumed this would
cause the problem. 55 gallons of diesel at 7.15lbs = 393 lbs.
I was surprised to see almost no difference after we used up most of  the
fuel.  We got rid of the drum in Neah Bay and when the fuel indicator was at
1/2 full she sat still low at the stern.

How much does your radar setup weigh? It looks very heavy duty and sits all
the back on the transom. You also have a Webasto heater there. How much does
this weigh?

I have an M35B engine in Hooligan, it weighs 352 lbs versus your 5424 at 425
lbs. I don't think the 73 lbs makes a difference considering the engine sits
more towards midship.
Hassle's M25XPB is 295 lbs, just 130 lbs less than yours. should not make
much difference.

Could it be the water tank that you removed from the v-birth?

You could have water in the hull, but it would have to be a lot to make the
stern sink 2 inches. If you had 20 gallons of water absorbed in the hull it
would be 166 lbs.
I keep my bilge bone dry and keep all interior openings to the hull open to
ventilate to prevent water absorption into the hull. I am surprised to read
about people keeping water in the bilge. I hope they have a good un-damaged
barrier coat in the bilge because polyester resin absorbs water.
Still puzzled...
Yvo Kwee
# 37 Hooligan

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Steve Smolinske <
SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com> wrote:

> Our anchor is one of those lightweight aluminum ones, I didnt realize your
> engine was 200 pounds lighter, thats huge

*Yvo Kwee*, Realtor DRE lic. # 01322668
Coldwell Banker  Marina del Rey
310-754-8109 Direct Line
310-306-6526 Fax