[C38] Optimal conditions for a Cat 38?

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Sep 26 16:59:41 EDT 2011

Steve,

If you google Yankee 38 sail plan you should be able to come up with a
line drawing showing all of the sails in the design, also I believe the
royces article has a nice drawing showing all the various
configurations.   We have a LT #1, Heavy #1, #2 and #3,  Our #1s  re
155, our 2 is about 135 and our 3 comes in at 100%,  For the light #1 we
only use  to a max of 12 knots, it's a carbon fiber load path string
sail, the others are custom axis laminate, much heavier but also much
more durable, we  use those for  racing and cruising, they are cut for
the furler as the carbon fiber is not it tacks to the deck.   We took a
6 second hit locally with phrf for carrying 155%   the 135% actually
moves the boat  well and is a great sail, you may think about how the
new sail impacts your local phrf rating.

I would talk over the question about the best sail with the guy you
choose to buy it from, our sailmaker was a great source of information
and help, If you want his name contact me off list and Ill send you the
link.