[C38] rendezvous pics???

Phil Gay eyriepg at comcast.net
Thu Sep 29 14:06:36 EDT 2011

Max and all,

We will write up the rendezvous last weekend at Port Townsend for the
Mainsheet along with photos.  In the mean time I will give the Listserve a
brief summary of the weekend.  Four boats, Peregrine, Que Linda, Santa
Susanna, and Palancar, came from Washington and 2, Gusto and Impulse, from
British Columbia.  Linda(my wife) greated arriving boats with a welcome bag
of information and goodies.  Most of us dined out together Friday night and
Peregrine arrived later at 9:30pm.  All of us saw south winds gusting to 35
kts on Friday with the WA boat enjoying the wind off their sterns.  The BC
boats had a tougher time with the winds forward but did well.  Gusto was
single handed across the Straits of Juan de Fuca.

Saturday was as beautiful a day as Friday and we had an organized "open
boat" show and tell on Saturday morning.  Several of the boats had wonderful
customized features.  I saw several things that I wanted for my boat.  One
of the most interesting was Palancar's raised aft cockpit locker which made
room for a large propane locker as well as raising the seat to usable level.
Saturday afternoon was informal visit time and sightseeing beautiful Port
Townsend.  On Saturday night we used the port's Marina room for a delightful
pot luck dinner and Steve Smolinske talked about his Trans Pac adventure.  I
have never met a more congenial group of people and I would gladly cruise
with any of them.

Saturday night late the shrieking winds to 30 kts forebode the next day and
we woke up to 15-20 knot winds in the Marina.  The winds while departing our
slips required great skill on the skippers.  This time boats heading back to
WA ports had the wind on their bow.  We tied in a double reef in the main
sail and motorsailed back south in Admiralty Inlet.  There were gale force
conditions in effect and winds were predicted at 20-30 kts easing to 15-20
kts.  The water was best described as a washing machine with wind opposing
current making the waves steep and close together.  Add to that, rips that
occur near the points of land the trip south were extremely challenging.
Many times the 3-5 foot waves were at 90 degrees to each other.  Instead of
easing, the winds increased to 25-35 kts with gusts to 40 kts.  In short the
WA boats made it safely home or to an alternate port after finding more
places that water can come into the boat than we ever imagined.  For
example, even with the main hatched closed we got salt water in our ice box.
The BC boats made it across the open water of the Strait with winds abaft,
but with difficult seas, elected to take shelter at Friday Harbor on San
Juan Island.  The experience was invaluable and I'm glad that I did it, but
I don't ever want to do it again.  We were never in fear for our lives and
the reefed mainsail eliminated rolling, but trying to steer through the
confused seas was exhausting.  Even with foul weather gear we took several
bucket loads of water down our backs.  Fortunately the day was mostly sunny
with a mild temp in the high 60s. The other skippers have very interesting
stories to tell but I'll leave it up to them whether they place them in the
Mainsheet or on the Listserve.

The rendezvous was a great experience and despite the trips to and from was
worth every bit of effort.  We plan to do it again year after next.

Phil Gay

C38 049 Que Linda

Everett WA