[C38] Head

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 13:12:17 EDT 2011

Good job Steve!  Something to think about- the upper aft portion of cabinet interferes with a person putting their head directly over the sink.  One of my future projects is to recess that aft cabinet portion outboard to allow more headroom, which would also allow more options for lighting.
You mentioned in an earlier thread about plugging through hulls to obtain that additional fractional knot.  What we did when we had the bottom peeled and vinylester applied was to:
1. Plug the head sink drain through hull and run the drain aft and tee it into the galley sink drain.  It works well, but the sink can still overflow on a starb'd beat.  So it didn't solve that problem- I still have to closed the galley drain cock.
2. Plug the macerator drain and tee it into the head "direct overb'd" with appropriate valving.  This works great- I never understood why you would have two large overboards, side by side, when a tee would work for the same dirty water.
The biggest benefit from the above rework was the vinylester bottom- the boat definitely float higher!  I didn't go into the peeling operation for that reason though, I wanted get rid of the blisters.  My boat was like small pox all over and this kept me from sanding the hull at the bi-annual haul outs.
Thank you for the pictures, as it gives me insight of what I'm up against in reworking the head cabinet.
Cheers, Steve O
Santa Susanna (304)