[C38] Port forward chain plate

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Oct 19 00:42:04 EDT 2011

A little more information on the problem of water under the counter top in the head.  As I started digging into the problem I found that my port cabinets in the salon were soaked, the chain plates leaked a bit, but the big culprit was the vented stanchion, as it turns out water runs down from the stanchion base, down the bulkhead and to a molded fiberglass detail which leads directly to the head, under the counter top right where the water was collecting, as well as what I suspect is when water fills up under the counter top it then migrates down under the forward port settee cushion behind the slight opening hidden behind the quarter round trim pieces.  Then it pools and soaks into the bulkhead.  My bulkhead just under the lowest bolt to the fiberglass seat was very very wet.   it also turns out the leaks from the chain plate will also find their way to the head under the counter top. I found this out after removing the chain plate and spraying mold killer at the top and watched it run down and through the cabinets.  attached photo should easily show the leak routes.

Steve