[C38] New Owner - feedback

les hlhowell at pacbell.net
Sun Oct 23 18:59:38 EDT 2011

On Number 8, the smile is typically a result of how the boat is blocked
in the yards.  The C38 has a "streamlined" keel, which is slightly
longer in the rear than in the front.  Thus when it is set down in the
yards, the yard needs to block the forward end of the keel a bit taller
than the rear.  When they are about to sit the boat down, look carefully
at how the keel sits on its blocks.  Make sure both front and back
contact wood at the same time and that the wood is solid on the deck of
the yard.  As the strain is taken off the lift and the boat settles,
watch that the rear and forward ends of the keel both settle about the
same amount, but not level.  Remember that the forward end is shorter
than the aft end.

Failure to do this puts a leverage on the keel relative to the boat
bottom, and the smile results from that.  To cure the smile, pack it
with sealant of your preferred brand, then reblock the keel properly.
Remove the excess, grind down the keel and keel stub a bit, check the
bolts and the keel block inside then glass and seal the smile area befor
painting.  Most yards on the west coast know how to do this.  JACE (now
Knee Deep) was always well maintianed by Driscoll Boatyard in Mission
Bay.

PS most of your questions are answered in the archives.  Check out the
C38 website.

http://www.catalina38.org/

And join the association.  The information available from the group is
well worth the admission.

Regards,