[C38] Coolant Return Hose

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 25 16:38:13 EDT 2011

Hello Jay,

The thermostat bypass hose is to allow a limited amount of circulation from the water pump so that all the water will heat uniformly.  If you didn't have that hose, the engine could overheat before the thermostat opened.  Since only a very small amount of circulation is needed to get the warmed water to the thermostat the hose can be very small.  Even on large V-8 car engines the bypass hose is rarely more than about 1/2" inside diameter.

Tom Troncalli