[C38] rudder

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Oct 31 15:58:31 EDT 2011

Patrick,

Try checking the cable tension.  Your steering cables might need
tightening, you can open up the helm seat locker  and remove the wood
board to gain access to the top of the steering radial drive wheel.
Turn the wheel and check if the cables are tight and move with the
wheel.  To adjust  the tension you need to crawl under the cockpit and
back to the radial drive wheel, on the underside there are two eyebolts
that tension the cable.  It's a two person job one working the nuts up
top and another down below tightening.  Edson told me when I rebuilt the
steering that the right amount of tension is somewhere between to  lose
to move the rudder and too tight to make turning difficult.   Tighten
each side equally until you are happy with the feel at the wheel.    The
next issue of main sheet should have an article about the steering.

Steve
#312 Peregrine
Seattle,