[C38] Throttle cable and rudder cable

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 00:29:02 EDT 2011

Hey Patrick,

What broke at the pedestal???? and were are you pulling it from??

What you see attached to the steering quadrant (donut shaped device!) is
not a single wire, are two 36" lenghts of wire attached to a 24" lenght of
chain that goes up and down the steering wheel shaft, were a pinion is
located to pull the chain and move the rudder, if something broke, you have
several options, like wire, chain, the small hackles that attaches the
chain to the wire, etc...

Also, the sheave base under the pedestal, inside the engine room, broke in
pieces and left Phil (if I remember correctly) without steering...    So
check it all around..

If the cable is loose enough, you might be able to put it back on the
groove, just be careful.
This link might help:
http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

Hope this helps!
Max

2011/10/31 Patrick Harpole <1derful at comcast.net>

> Mine broke at the pedestal....right after the metal sleeve.  I try to pull
> it out but it doesn't want to come out.  Shall I just pull harder.
>
> I also had the good fortune of loosing control of rudder.  I looked and
> found the cable that is supposed to wrap around donut-shaped device with
> grooves in it does not have the cable in the grooves.  Is it OK to put a
> screw driver under cable and have someone turn wheel.  I hope this would
> snap it back into track on donut..

Max Soto
C38 #198 ESTANCIA
Puntarenas, Costa Rica