[C38] Vented loop for head discharge

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Wed Nov 2 11:24:47 EDT 2011

http://www.boatus.com/boattech/casey/13.htm
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/PermanentToilets/Headmate/tabid/575/D
efault.aspx

Don Casey actually recommends that you do not put a vented loop on the
intake and that you do put one  on the discharge.  Attached excerpt from
Boat  US has a page from his book.  Our heads the Wilcox Crittenden
Headmate (now Thetford)  has a duckbill ball (joker), then there is a
flapper valve in the toilet base.   Link to the manual is attached the
duckbill is #23 and the flapper is #32 in the blown up schematic.

On the inlet side there is another  flapper valve that is engaged with
the flush or  dry flush option via the small lever by the pump handle.
This should  never be left in the dry position, I know many people leave
it in that  position when finished with the head in order to leave the
inlet line through hull open, and yes while in that position it does
stop the water from entering the bowl, however the flapper valve is a
rubber gasket with a small disc riveted to the flapper, This seal will
and does take a compression set and the metal disc will deform if  left
in that  position.  I know because I  just replaced it because  my head
would no  longer work,  I talked to  Thetford who told me do not  leave
your boat head in the dry flush position.

Steve