[C38] on and on head discharge

S Orton ssorton at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 3 14:18:28 EDT 2011

All,  This subject of vented loops is baffling and opinionated by experts.  My boat has been fully surveyed 4 times and never have they requested that the head overb'd loop have a vacuum breaker installed.  I've even heard of boats having a vacuum breaker installed on the engine exhaust overb'd, even though the exit is above the
WL.  I would recommend any body sealing their head overb'd.  In an emergency it could be very useful- ask Larry Malberg about his first Transpac and not being able to pump overb'd.  On how you use holding tank (15 gal, say 30 flushes max) come down on how you use your boat.  On an overnight race, six crew members, you have to ration what goes into the holding tank- solids into the tank, pee overb'd -even in inland waters, like Puget Sound.
With the head valving ( joker and flapper) working correctly,  my head bowl does not over flow, unless a human makes a mistake and leaves the pump intake open.
But as precaution, I always close the sea cocks for both the intake and overb'd, when leaving the boat.
Cheers, Steve O
Santa Susanna- #304