[C38] Lifeline failure

Joseph Launie jlaunie at cox.net
Sat Nov 26 02:39:34 EST 2011

Phil,
     When we replaced the standing rigging on Macavity we replaced  ALL
our lifelines. The rigger called them "death-lines". Our old lifelines
were coated. Our new ones, conforming to the new ocean racing rules, are
uncoated. The white coating can hide corrosion.  Years ago a friends
wife died when the lifeline she was leaning against failed and she fell
overboard during a winter trip back from Catalina. She had a heart
attack in the water.   While on the subject of dead friends, my buddy
Frosty, a rigger at a yard in Channel Islands died from a fall from the
masthead when a wire halyard failed. I hope everyone follows my practice
to ALWAYS use 2 halyards when hauling someone aloft. Joe (and happy
thanksgiving everyone)