[C38] Autohelm / Raymarine Type 1 linear drive installation

tdtron at earthlink.net tdtron at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 29 17:38:04 EST 2011

I personally prefer the above deck steering for a Catalina 38 for ease of service and installation but regardless of the steering you choose, you can save electrical power and possibly the life of the servo motor by neutralizing the helm with bungee cords.

With this procedure, the servo will then only have to make slight steering corrections instead of having to fight weather helm too.

Bungee cords reduced my battery demands enough that my solar panels could run my steering, refrigerator, lighting and VHF indefinitely if we were careful.

I sold our 38 but we ran everything on 75 watts of solar panel once underway.  We cooled our refrigerator to almost freezing before we cut loose from shore power so the well insulated refrigerator used little power underway.

Tom Troncalli