[C38] Port forward Lower

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Thu Jan 26 02:26:23 EST 2012

Fyi

Got Peregrine back from the yard a month or so ago glassed closed three through hulls (Macerator, Head Sink and one that was where the knot meter was originally installed on starboard) and replaced two of them (Head discharge which now handles all gray water from the holding tank, head sink and shower sump and the bow which is used for the water maker) with some pretty slick flush closing seacocks, but also had them address a problem I discovered that I thought I should pass along.  As you may remember from earlier threads I noticed a bulge on the deck around the port forward lower chain plate of at least a ½" when the rig was tensioned properly.  As a result it caused the liner in the head to bulge and deform as well.  The design of that chain plate is lacking in that the load is inboard and the chain plate extends outboard and is connected to a small bulkhead which is attached to the glassed in counter top.   When the rig is tensioned it causes the chain plate to cantilever pulling up at the connection point and pushing down at the bulkhead.   We fixed it by attaching a turnbuckle to the bottom of the chain plate in front of the mirrors and then ran wire the same size as the standing rigging to an attachment point glassed into the hull, a small hole in the counter top for it to pass through and the problem is solved.   It is very similar to how Catalina attached the starboard side inside of the hanging locker.   True there is generally not much load on the lowers, however you can load them up pretty well  with a spinnaker pole pushing in against the mast that it warrants looking at.   Besides fixing the problem the turnbuckle makes a great hand hold inside the head.