[C38] Bilge Sump Tank

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Feb 6 01:16:11 EST 2012

At the C38 Rendezvous earlier this year one of the things I learned from
talking with Phil Gay about the difference in later model versus earlier
model boats was that the earlier boats did not have the annoying sump
under the grate in the head but a sump tank in the bilge.   I hate the
design of the sump under the grate.  When it is full and you are healed
over on starboard it never drains and all that disgusting water sloshes
around the floor and up your foulies.   The conversation with Phil got
me thinking and I ended up glassing closed my macerator and head sink
through hulls and plumbed them into the head discharge.   For the sink
and shower sump I drew up this tank and had it built  for $150, used a
through hull in the shower sump for a drain and now both sink and sump
drain into this tank.  It also eliminates the disgusting situation of
having that water pumped up into your sink when emptying the sump under
the grate as they shared the same through hull before.  I will be
rewiring the sump switch in the head to power the bilge pump in the new
tank.  I still need to fabricate the frame to hold the tank in place and
will send pictures when the project is completed.  Thought I would pass
these pics along for anyone else interested.  If you want to contact me
offline Ill set you up with contact info for the tank.   It measures 7.5
x 9.5 x12 and fits directly into the bilge between two sets of keel
bolts leaving enough room to tighten them without having to remove the
tank and will attach to the floor stiffeners on port and starboard.
Its capacity without the displacement of the bilge pump figured in is
roughly 3.9 gallons.

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle