[C38] Close encounters of the 38th kind in Costa Rica!

Max Soto maxsoto at gmail.com
Tue Feb 14 01:09:45 EST 2012

What are the odds? I was the only sailboat that went out for the
weekend in a 80 mile radius. When arrived to my favorite anchorage, I
saw this boat that didn't belonged to our location. As I came close,
the boat seemed familiar, and suddenly, noticed the that the boat was
as beatiful as mine! ( proud owner!) It turned ot to be La Paloma,
1983 Hull 211, from Long Beach, California. Third C38 that comes here
besides Estancia and Moquisha(that kept going south).
 Ari, the owner has singlehanded the boat for the last 10 years down
the Pacific west coast. Of course we had to meet.... Is not common to
see a sistership like this in such remote location, so I anchored next
to him.  And almost at the same time, both our dinghies went to the
water..Told me that he was amazed when recognized another C38 from a
distance of 200m, I was more amazed.. We  jumped into each other
boats, checked everything, upgrades, stuff,  shared a beer, talked him
to join us on the C38  Association. He wasn't aware that there was
one. After a great chat, we made a new friend, and then we had to say
good bye.. He's now sailing with south America as his rumb line. Good
luck to Ari on his way south!

Max Soto
C38 #198 Estancia
Puntarenas, Costa Rica