[C38] Bloody Diesel

D McC cat38skip at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 15 14:08:15 EDT 2012

All this talk about Max's query and the stories of fuel problems has prompted me
to finally post this.
A couple of years ago I added biocide to my fuel tank and shortly after, while
motoring back to the slip, the engine died of fuel starvation. The filters were
clogged. I changed the filters, bled the system, cleaned up the mess and went on
my happy way. Next time out after about an hour of motoring the engine died
again. New filters and another cleanup and no fuel would pump.  Turns out that
the biocide had killed off the colony of critters living in the tank and they
dropped to the bottom and that was enough added crud to  completely clog the
pickup tube. I had to use a compressor to clear the line.

I disconnected the fuel tank and started using an external tank until I can get
my tank cleaned out. All of those repeated bleeding exercises prompted me to
find a better way to bleed the air from the fuel system.

Bloody Diesel or How I Solved Bleeding the Air from the Diesel Fuel Line.  I
have the original 3 cyl Universal 5424 (M-30) Engine in my 1982 Catalina 38.
Due to a severe debris problem in my fuel tank, I have had to change filters
often and
then bleed the system.
(tank to be scrubbed soon and for the interim, I am using an external tank)
Bleeding this fuel system is nasty and messy and requires feeling around to find

nearly impossible-to-see bleeding 'bolt' on top of the engine fuel filter
housing.

Performing this task while under way is an exercise in near-futility and keeping
one's
latest meal down....while taking a partial bath in diesel fuel.   My solution
has been to install a system of valves and tubing to bleed the air and fuel
back into the tank via the injector fuel return line.  My first test of the
installation was a complete success ...  I replaced my filters, turned the key
and electric fuel pump on, opened the new engine
fuel filter valve for a minute or so, closed it, opened the injector valve for
another

minute, closed it, warmed the injectors, turned the starter and she started as
though
I had never opened the fuel system.
Not a single oil diaper was harmed in the bleeding process. My solution consists
of 2 different and hard-to-find metric to NPT thread adapters

that replaced the bleeding bolts on the top of the engine fuel filter housing
and

injector pump, 2 needle valves, various compression fittings and a few feet of
1/8"

poly tubing.   I neglected to take pictures of the components and project as it
was assembled.

I'll try to follow with pictures of the finished product and a parts list for my
setup.
~Dave McCarthy
sv Pretty Lady ~ Catalina 38 #148

Common Sense is a rare gift from the Gods.
Most people have only technical training!

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span those hours spent in sailing.

When in doubt, try the vice You haven't tried  before!