[C38] Replacing jib halyard

Pierre Patino pierre.patino at gmail.com
Sat May 19 21:53:16 EDT 2012

Hello All

As a test of my "seamanship" I've decided to replace my jib halyard. I've
never done it before and I spent some time reading all of what was posted
regarding halyards on this list since 2005. According to another web site,
the recommended length is 117'.  I want to go with no-wire Sta-Set X 7/16"
which at about $120 appears to be "cheap" enough. A YouTube I saw showed
it's all a matter of butt-splicing the ends (old to new) together with
waxed thread and pulling through.

Newbie questions:

1) Is 117' the correct/best length? (jib is mast-cleated)
2) 7/16" diameter OK?
3) Sheaves/pulleys OK with all-nylon rope?
4) YouTube video too optimistic?
5) Am I going to regret this?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers