[C38] Steering help

Brett bikahoga at aol.com
Tue Aug 7 08:03:52 EDT 2012

Hello fellow 38's
 Jazz had a near collision this past weekend durning an over night race down the bay. We lost our steering in the middle of a shipping channel and great team work where able to get to safe anchor with a make shift emergency teller.
  I have A couple question  and the first one is where can I find a used/new emergency teller for our boat. I have #313 which is an 84 and what we use as a teller was not at all adequate for any emergency sailing.

Next question. I have pulled my steering apart and have found the the issue which is a broken cable at the point where it meets the chain in the pedestal. It also sheared a few teeth off the chain sprocket. I have reviewed the diagram on the C38 web site for steering and have the info for parts and want to ask if anyone else has replaced the following and used the same pieces and if they are correct before I order them.
775?or 774? 2S 15 B9 chain and wire assembly (chain 19" and 13' over all?)
And
855-2-11BR  11 Tooth sprocket 5/8" #50 chain double brass

Any help or advise would be great before I start ordering parts.

Cheers

Brett Cureton
"Jazz" #313
Annapolis, MD