[C38] Leaking windows

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Sun Dec 30 03:32:54 EST 2012

Well it's that time of year in Seattle when it rains for the next 9
months, the windows I so meticulously pulled off the boat and sealed two
years ago are showing occasional leaks.  I think I found the problem and
thought I would post.  But first a word of advice  IMHO if you are
thinking of resealing DON'T replace with the new style as Chuck did on
The Mighty Quinn that's what I'm doing next time.   First to let you
know I pulled all the windows, replaced all the gaskets, and resealed
them to the boat, 3 of them leaked, I pulled them redid them and two of
those leaked, I pulled them and redid those and one of them leaked, I
pulled that and then discovered there is a tiny seem where the two
halves of the frames meet, I put a small bit of silicone in the crack
and the leaked stopped.   A month ago I went on the boat and had water
on my chart table and quarter berth I traced it back to the window
above.  Remembering my experience with re sealing the windows I took my
silicone went on deck to the offending window sealed the two cracks
where the frames meet and the leaking stopped.   Hope this helps save
someone else from the horror of redoing their windows!

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle