[C38] J measurement

Steven Ribble steve.ribble at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 13:57:17 EST 2012

Yes I have roller furling, but the measurement is to the point it attaches
to the bow/deck.

On Tuesday, January 31, 2012,  <dmills3 at comcast.net> wrote:
> Do you have roller furling and are measuring to the tack fitting on the
drum? That seems to be the only possibility.

> Dan
>
> ________________________________

see an inch or so, but 6 seems like a lot of error.

> On Tuesday, January 31, 2012,  <dmills3 at comcast.net> wrote:
>> Where are you taking your measurement? PHRF says, "Distance
perpendicular from foreside of mast line to the point of intersection of
the forestay with deck". If you set a spinnaker pole as low as possible and
drop a plumbob down to the the forestay attachment and take a measurement
from the mast to where the plumbob is attached to the spinnaker pole it
should be 15.5 feet. The measurement is not from the track on the front of
the mast. You have to add the thickness of the track to get the real
measurement. Also make sure the boat is level ( not bowdown or sterndown )
When building a spinnaker pole you have to take into consideration the
thickness of the track the spinnaker car and the diameter of the ring. The
spinnaker pole will be several inches shorter than 15.5 feet.

>> Dan #108
>>
>> ________________________________

the J dimension.  Published data indicates we have a J of 15.5 feet but
mine measures 15' (1980, #64)...has anyone else had this situation?  If
mine is different from the rest/majority should this impact my rating?

>> --
>> Steve Ribble
>> 207/852-0971

> --