[C38] head gasket

Chuck Finn charles at finn.ws
Mon Feb 27 15:49:34 EST 2012

We stop our engines by starving them of fuel.  The reason diesel engines
don't have spark plugs is cylinder compression is high enough to cause
the fuel to begin and sustain combustion.   The decompression lever
simply lowers the compression pressure in the cylinders and is generally
used to help turn over our engines when it is very cold or the battery
is low.  It can be used in an emergency to shut down the diesel, but
this leaves fuel in the cylinders (not good) and causes hot gases to
blow by the partially opened valves.  While this probably does not hurt
once in a while, I believe it would hurt your valve seats, guides, etc.
in the long run.  Besides the fact you are mucking up your engine!

If you are having trouble starving the engine, you need to adjust your
throttle linkage.

Hope this helps!
Chuck Finn
Mighty Quinn #114