[C38] Cabin top winch

Steve Smolinske SSmolinske at rainierrubber.com
Mon Mar 5 21:42:00 EST 2012

Kerry,

I have two winches on the cabin top a 30 on port and a 16 on starboard both self tailing.   The 16 is set up for the spinnaker pole topping lift with a clutch just forward, and the 30 for the main sheet.  Our set up is starting on the port outboard and moving in,  Cunningham, Main Sheet, Boom Vang and traveler  on Starboard moving in from outboard it is fore guy, topping lift, traveler.  I would have  preferred having the 30 for the spinnaker, but the way the deck organizers were set up it was easier to do it this way rather than filling holes and moving everything.   Anyone know if the bolt  patter on the 16 and the 30 are the same…..wait don’t answer that as I typed I realized I could go look from below….duhh..  I just finished tweaking the main sheet rigging.  I never like the original design with all the unnecessary triangles on the deck that took up space and were hard to work around.  Years ago I lead the main sheet from the boom to the mast and back to the cockpit, the other day I was looking at it again and it hit me that if I replaced the double on the boom with a triple  in conjunction with the triple already on the  traveler it would clean up all the rigging so that it leads straight back from the attachment on the boom to the mast and then down to the deck cleaning up all the old trip points.

Steve

#312 Peregrine

Seattle